POSTED BY Haubey on 5:17 PM under
Hey everyone. Sorry for the late post, but I was doing something else important. Studdying for my two huge tests tomorrow. Yesterday I posted some news headlines and I didn't giver proper credit. The tech headlines all come from CNet's News.com. If it's different, I'll tell you. But now that I've given credit to whom credit is due, onto today's headline. This one's a little old, but Belkin's CEO has been paying people small amounts of money (under a dollar each) to post good reviews of Belkin products. That's Bad. Also, Mac turns 25. That's good. Barack Obama gets to keep his Blackberry, with encrypted software installed, but he also gets a WM (Windows Mobile) Device call the Sectera Edge, for secure email and voice, but you already know how I feel about that. And Microsoft is cutting 5,000 jobs. And now, it's time for.......the .......

DAILY RANT

So I know a guy who just bought an used Iphone 3G and is going to unlock the phone to work on T-Mobile first off, let me state that I don't believe in unlocking devices unless there is more power to be used, like the PSP, which I have unlocked. I especially don't advise unlocking anything under warranty, because it voids the warranty. (By the way, the PSP is like 3 years past warranty, and I hardly ever use it anyway.) This person tells me: "I know that the Iphone will work on T-Mobile's 3G because I know a guy who has that on his phone already. He can unlock the phone for 25 bucks, and no worries." Now I could be wrong here, but the T-Mobile 3G network and the Iphone 3G don't mix. What I mean is the T-Mobile 3G network uses the 1700 spectrum for Downloads adn the 2100 spectrum for upload. AT&T 3G network uses the 850 spectrum for download and the 2100 spectrum for upload. And why would Apple spend more money to put extra radios in the phone that the phone doesn't use? Well the correct answer is...they don't! the Iphone only has 850, 1900, and 2100 radios in the phone. And you can't switch that. So, you may ask yourself, "Hey, can you use the 2100 radio for 3G uploads and then regular edge for downloads?" Well, to my understanding, no. It's all or none, my friends. And also, unlocking the Iphone is much different then a regular phone. Especially with the Iphone 3G. To my knowledge, you have to download like 3 programs. Change some code, and how the Iphone interacts with the computer, and then use the programs. My friends knows a man who can do this. I don't doubt that. What I also don't doubt is the possibility that this man is conning my friend out of 30 dollars in addition to the 300 he spent for the phone itself. And that's just wrong. Now, I could be wrong adn I could see my friend tomorrow using an Iphone on a T-Mobile 3G network. Or I could see the face of a guy who spent $300 to use a phone that is now much slower to use. And even I don't think the satisfaction of saying "I told you so" will fix the bad feeling I will have in my stomach.....oh wait, yes it will. My four half pennies.

No regular news tonight except for New York gets a new senator on Friday. I have no idea who it is.
1 comments so far:
    Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 6:05 AM , said...

    I disagree, I think it will work